Under the guidance and direction of Underwriters Laboratories, Northbrook, Illinois, Backer Rod Mfg. Inc. established our Master File R13729. All of our testing was to the FULL SCALE, 180 sq. ft. pallet surface area and each joint tested was 12 ft. long. Our testing did include the hose stream portion. The test standard was ANSI/UL2079, ASTM E119, UL 263, NFPA 251. The full scale testing earned us classifications by UL in all horizontal and all vertical joints, plus compliance with The International Building Code. Many of these are multi-listings which include Floor to Floor, Floor to Wall, Wall to Wall and Head of Wall designs.
ULTRA BLOCK® systems allow the mechanical expansion/construction joint to function and fulfill the purpose it was designed for, " MOVEMENT."
Structural testing of ULTRA BLOCK® designs was performed by Hauser Research, Boulder, Colorado. Our systems testing was performed on a +/-50% movement for 28,775 openings and closings. On a once a day expansion and contraction, that equals 78 years or service. The standard for movement testing is ASTM E1399.
Seismic testing of ULTRA BLOCK® designs was performed by the University of California, San Diego, California. The seismic "Earthquake" test was a project name "TCCMAR" sponsored by the United States and Japan. ULTRA BLOCK® performed so well in their 2-story structure, that it was named as the single source for use in their 2nd test, a 5-story structure.
All ULTRA BLOCK® systems are covered with a nominal 1/2" depth elastomeric sealant (see list of manufacturers). System designs can range from 1-hour, 2-hour, 3-hour, or 4-hour fire ratings and joint width from 1/2" up to 7" wide. We ask that you verify that your sealant selection complies with our system design.
- IBC – International Building Code
- ANSI/UL2079 – UL Standard for Safety Fire Tests for Fire Resistance of Building Joint Systems
- ASTM E 119 - Method for Fire Tests of Building Construction and Materials
- ASTM E 814 - Methods for Fire Tests of Through-Penetration Fire Steps
- ASTM E 84 - Test Method for Surface Burning Characteristics of Building Materials
- ASTM E 136 - Test Method for Behavior of Materials in a Vertical Tube Furnace at 750ºC
- ASTM E 90 - Test Method for Laboratory Measurement of Air-borne-Sound Transmission Loss of Building Partitions
- NFPA 251 - Fire Test of Building Construction Materials
- NFPA 255 - Burning Character of Building Materials
- ASTM E 1399 - Test Method of Cyclic Movement and measuring the Minimum and Maximum joint Widths of Architectural Joint System
- ASTM C 719 - Test Method for Adhesion and Cohesion of Elastomeric Joint Sealants Under Cyclic movement.
- ASTM C 920 - Specification for Elastomeric Joint Sealants
- UL 263-92 - UL Standard for Safety Fire Tests of Building Construction and Materials
- UL 2079 - UL Standard for Safety Tests for Fire Resistance of Building Joint Systems
- UL 1479 - UL Standard for Safety Fire Test of Through-Penetration Firestops
- UL 723 - UL Standard for Safety Test for Surface Burning Characteristics of Building Materials
ULTRA BLOCK® is a continuous filament textile glass fiber and may cause skin and eye irritation. When handling and/or applying, wear long sleeves, gloves and cap. Wear eye protection (goggles, safety glasses). MSDS verifies that ULTRA BLOCK® is : not listed, not regulated, and not classified as a carcinogen. That applies to both as installed and removal should a fire occur.